Sign in to follow this  

The London GT being the first to post a full file of player lists gives us the unique opportunity to analyze the data and better understand how armies are shaping up post Spring 2018 FAQ.

You can see the lists here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QuVR2KdfKO08bBLYw9vobghM_xwhejofmtyXQ7LgQU8/edit

I parsed the data through regular expressions and I'm aggregating it as best as possible (given how dirty the data is).

You can see some results here.  These are not fully complete and are subject to change.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oE2SERe2xjCC5w432kB9Y8qkdO5q3OazQPj6I6iPZ5A/edit#gid=776261834

Next steps are to catalog the weapons into a database and see if we can find how relevant mortars, plasma, etc are.

Enjoy!

Oh and one important thing to note - this GT uses highlander rules for detachments so people were unable to two two battalions, two vanguards, etc.

Yea the GT crew took it down.  I'll make the source I downloaded for analysis available tomorrow.

This is great! I wish we could see more info coming out of tournaments detailing what people are actually bringing.

I put together a spreadsheet describing what factions people are bringing, based on the same data. Multiple, mixed Detachments really make it tough to understand what overall faction armies are supposed to represent. I suppose anything beyond Imperium or Chaos doesn't really mean that much (Xenos, obviously, are a different challenge altogether.

Some interesting basic facts about list design:

1) The top 5 units making an appearance in lists (along with total count):

INFANTRY SQUAD 197
SCOUT 127
COMPANY COMMANDER 121
HEAVY WEAPON SQUAD|TEAM 121
KABALITE 93

Obviously, some armies will feature multiples of these units, but that's a lot of support units.

2) Forgeworld: There's only a small selection of RELIC and HELLFORGED units represented at LGT.

For RELIC, we are only seeing 1 Sicaran and 1 Sicaran Venator. No Deredeos, no Leviathans, no Relic Predators, no Fire Raptors... maybe I am missing something, but it feels like we should be seeing these in a competitive tournament.

For HELLFORGED, we are only seeing Contemptors, Deredeos, Sicarans, and Dreadclaws. 18 total, 10 of which are Contemptors, plus there's one Decimator in there. Which is sort of surprising, I would have expected to see more use of these elite units. The FW Dreads outnumber Helbrutes 13 to 3.

3) Only one appearance of YNCARNE. I know she's not that good in 8th, but it's surprising to see so few trying to make her work.

4) Where are the flyers? 17 Dark Talons, 7 Valkyries, 6 Heldrakes, 6 Stormtalons, 5 Stormravens, 3 Night Scythes, 2 Dakkjets, 2 Shark Sun Bombers, 1 Doomscythe, No Xiphons, No Corbus Blackstars. 49 total. Feels like Imperial / Chaos want to make the most of their troops on the ground.... oh, wait a minute. 34 Hemlocks, 32 Razorwings, 12 Crimson Hunters, 11 Voidravens. The Eldar are all about air superiority, about a 2:1 ratio. (Note: there are 30 Hive Tyrants, no clue how many are Flyrants.)

5) Primaris watch: 32 Aggressors, 29 Intercessors, 19 Hellblasters, 4 Reivers, smattering of HQ choices. 1.5% of total unit selection. On the one hand, this makes me think people love the armies they have been working on for years and have no intention to change. On the other hand, Deathwatch.

6) Grey Knights watch: 32 GK units, 29 Intercessors, 2 Grandmaster Nemesis, 1 Paladin, 1 GK Terminator, 1 Draigo, 1 Voldus. Probably missed a few other choices. 1.2% of total unit selection. On the one hand, are Primaris really about as popular as Grey Knights? On the other hand, that's a lot of Intercessors. Don't have data to back this up, but it seemed for a while all anyone would take is Strike Squads. Also, where are the Dreadknights? I thought that's what made GK detachments good. I would need to go back to the army lists, but I wonder if people are taking Stormravens instead.

• Like 1

Huh, you're right.  I hadn't noticed the total absence of Fire Raptors.  The nerf certainly did it's job - maybe too well in the minds of it's owners.

On the flip side it does look like even with it's nerf the Dark Talon is still a linchpin of their strategy.  In a broader context with flyers people should be taking more anti-air.  With Tau and Drukhari units all packing fly on top of all those Eldar fliers it's a no brainer to me.

On Hive Tyrants?  Not a single listing without wings.

The Grey Knight players seem like staunch traditionalists.  None of them ally with any other faction and they very may well suffer for it.  The highlander detachments don't play to their benefit in a mono-culture list.

4 hours ago, Daedalus81 said:

On the flip side it does look like even with it's nerf the Dark Talon is still a linchpin of their strategy.  In a broader context with flyers people should be taking more anti-air.  With Tau and Drukhari units all packing fly on top of all those Eldar fliers it's a no brainer to me.

Yeah... but the Dark Talon is the most popular Imperial / Chaos flyer. There aren't that many Dark Angels detachments overall. For this tournament, players would be taking anti-air primarily for fighting Xenos, which is about a third of all armies.

Is this a problem with Imperial airfighters being too expensive, or with Xenos armies lacking more efficient land-based units?

I tried looking at the ork stats but I know it'll all be different when the codex finally comes out.  (So 10 years from now maybe.)  I did see the winning ork list from Warhammer Fest and it is like most of the competitive ones I've seen: lots of boyz & kustom mega kannons.

Heh... I think that Codex comes out in June, probably just in time for my birthday.

While it's anyone's guess what will change, I've been told to expect Looted Tanks to make a comeback. The thought takes me back to the halcyon days of 5th, where the only fear my Rhino Rush Berzerkers had was a stray shot from one of these crippling their transport.

Getting back on topic, is there anything specific in the Orks lists you think might stay around post-Codex?